Friday, August 3, 2007

Korean Taxi drivers

It was around 9 pm of a cold day in early January when we reached Pusan (South korea). By the time maneuvering was finished and our beautiful ship was secured to shore, it was already 10. But, as always, I was itching to go out on shore where earth seems reasonably stable.

So, my buddy Nayak (he was a cadet) and me left for the only street in Pusan that we knew of. This street is a night creature’s dream with dozens of beautiful pubs lined up on both sides where party never stops. Unlike other days, that day we walked till the end of the street just to see what all shops were there. At end of the street, I found something irresistible- a small camera shop that stocked some of the best cameras ever made. Nayak had a watch (night shift) and he had to leave around 12. Since, I was busy checking out various cameras, I planned to go on board later.

By the time I left the shop it was 1.45 and I headed for a quick bite of crispy pakodas from a roadside stand. It was then that I realized that my wallet was with Nayak! Now, that would unnerve many. But I was surprisingly calm- maybe because of familiarity of the place or maybe because of the slow processor that I carry in my head that takes time to respond to things. Anyway, I checked my pockets and found 8 dollars in change. That was a great relief- it was 5 bucks taxi ride to the ship!

Luckily, I forgot about pakoras and headed straight to taxi stand. As I was entering a taxi, the driver politely reminded me,
“the night time fare is in effect sir, so you will have to pay the double of day time fare, ten dollars equivalent!”
“See, I am not new here. come very week.”, I replied,” look for someone new to fleece.”
“You can come here every day sir. But that doesn’t change the fare- you can verify it with the cops.”

I did enquire with the constable on watch- the fare was indeed 10 dollars equivalent. Now, the grim reality sunk in- There I was in an alien country with not enough money to get to my ship. So, I went back to the taxi and told the driver- ok, I have got only 8 bucks. I will pay you the remaining once we reach there. You will have to wait for 10-15 minutes till I fetch the money. To my relief, the cabbie smiled, “Sure sir. Happens all the time in this street”

I hopped into the cab and he took me to the pier 12 where my ship was berthed. I thanked him and told him to wait till I fetched the money, because he couldn’t enter the port area. He replied, “Don’t take all that trouble. Its only two dollars. I would have brought you here even if you had no money”. What a shame! I suspected such a kind person of cheating me about double fare! I could just mumble a low voiced “thanks” and got out of the taxi.

As I was entering the security check, the driver shouted back
” which country?”
“India”
“Please speak good of Pusan taxi drivers there!”
No wonder, I do speak well of the Sonata cabs (yes the cabs there are sonata.), wide clean roads, and honest and courteous cabbies, who follow traffic rules as religiously as we Indians follow babas who preach on TV

No comments: